Skip to main content

Anna Sieling photograph and ephemera collection

Identifier: PP 0347

Scope and Contents

This collection contains materials related to nurse, Anna Sieling, R. N. (1867-1951). Items include a portait of Sieling when she was the superintendent of nurses at Franklin Square Hospital in West Baltimore, Maryland; a group portrait of the nurses at Franklin Square Hospital as well as a photograph of the exterior of the hospital; and a booklet and postcard advertising Pine Crest Sanatorium in Catonsville, Maryland, which Sieling owned and operated.


  • circa 1907-1910, undated

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

Born in Germany, Anna Antonia Sieling (1867-1951) immigrated to Baltimore, Maryland in 1882 with her parents and siblings. She began working in the dietetics department at the Maryland General Hospital, while at the same time attending Johns Hopkins University in order to study English as a second language. Deciding to pursue a career in nursing, Sieling graduated from the German Hospital of the City of New York (now known as Lenox Hill Hospital) in 1902. She then served as superintendent of District nurses in Washington, D.C. and as superintendent of nurses at the Martha Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Virginia as well as at the Newport News General Hospital in Virginia.

In 1904 Sieling became superintendent of nurses at Franklin Square Hospital, which was located at the northwest corner of Calhoun and Fayette Streets in West Baltimore. Beginning in 1910, she owned and operated Pine Crest Sanatorium in Catonsville, Maryland. Also known as Sieling's Sanatorium, this private facility comprising 20 acres was for the care and treatment of "mental and nervous diseases" as well as "drug and alcohol habits." In 1939 Sieling turned the sanatorium over to her nephew, Hammond P. Dorsey, Esq. Pine Crest closed in 1963 and in 1967 vandals set fire to the facility, which was destroyed.


5 Items

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Anna Dorsey Cooke Allison in November 2020.


(1951). Obituaries: Mrs. Anna A. Sieling. Baltimore Sun.
Guide to the Anna Sieling photograph and ephemera collection
Sandra Glascock
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States