Skip to main content

Carroll-Maccubbin papers

Identifier: MS 0219


This collection consists of the Baltimore Company (ironworks) records (1730-1805) which include land papers, minutes, correspondence, financial records, and memoranda. Also in the collection are papers of James [Maccubbin] Carroll and his sons James Carroll (1791-1873), Harry Dorsey Gough Carroll, and Charles Ridgely Carroll (1800-1870). Their papers pertain mainly to property they owned in Anne Arundel and Baltimore counties and Baltimore City.


  • 1644-1888


Conditions Governing Access

Open to the public without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

The Baltimore Company was an iron works in Baltimore County. It was founded in 1732 and operated until circa 1775 although records relating to the disposition of the company property are dated as late as 1806. The records consist of land papers, minutes, correspondence, financial records, and memoranda.

James [Maccubbin] Carroll inherited Mount Clare in Baltimore County from his uncle Charles Carroll, Barrister. His papers and those of his sons, James, Harry D. G., and Charles R. Carroll pertain largely to the management of their properties.


4.8 Linear Feet (12 boxes (3 flat boxes, 8 standard Hollinger boxes, 1 half Hollinger box))

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Miss Ludlow Carroll Willett, 1932.


The Carroll-Maccubbin Papers were given to the Maryland Historical Society in 1932 by Miss Ludlow Carroll Willet. The papers consist of two types: the records of the Baltimore Company and the papers of the James [Maccubbin] Carroll family.

The Baltimore Company records came to James [Maccubbin] Carroll through his uncle Charles Carroll, Barrister. It was in order to inherit the Barrister's estate that James Maccubbin took the name of Carroll.

The Baltimore Company Records became separated once in the Maryland Historical Society. The majority of the records for the years 1734-37 were silked and bound as a project of the Maryland Society of the Colonial Dames of America from 1952 to 1954. This portion of the records was then inadvertantly catalogued as a separate collection, MS. 65. The Baltimore Company Records in MS. 65 and MS. 219 must be used together. Since the records in MS. 65 have been cited separately, it was decided not to re-integrate them.

Guide to the Carroll-Maccubbin papers
Under Revision
Cynthia H. Requardt
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Revision Statements

  • 2019-07-25: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States