Samuel Shoemaker papers
The collection consists chiefly of letters written by Samuel Moor Shoemaker by business associates (especially men employed by the Adams Express Company), friends, some Shoemaker family members, and a few politicians (e.g. Schyler Colfax 1823-1885 and James A. Garfield 1831-1881). The letters contain information about Shoemaker's business ventures (especially the Adams Express Company), family news, and expressions of gratitude from the recipients of gifts given by shoemaker. Other letters were written to win favors or financial assistance from Shoemaker. Included also are letters directed to O. Ricklesfs--? (manager, Burnside park), A.D. Keener (private secretary to Samuel Shoemaker, and Augusta Shoemaker (Mrs. S. Shoemaker). The collection also contains checkbooks(1867-1881), bank books (1868-1879), a cash book, a ledger, and a large number of bills and cancelled checks (1883-1884) all belonging to Samuel shoemaker. Also included in the collection are papers relating to legal disputes in which companies that Shoemaker had an interest in were involved (e.g.The Alexandria and Washington Railroad Company and Locke and Conway); property owned by Shoemaker in Maryland (Baltimore County), Virginia (Alexandria and Preston County), and West Virginia; and to the final execution of the will of Ann C. Tilghman. Included also are a few items pertaining to William Cloud Boylston (attorney for Shoemaker).
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
8.0 Linear Feet (8 flat boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ellen Shoemaker Johnston (Mrs. Bartlett Johnston), May 1971.
Materials Specific Details
The following were noted as removed to Graphics, pending acceptance by that department.
1. Membership ticket, YMCA perhaps, No date.
2. An Appeal for the Aged Colored Poor, pamphlet - 4pp, No date.
3. The Undersigned, a committee appointed by the Vestry of St. Thomas Parish Balt, County...
4. Catalog of Choice Alderney Cattle..., 1881 (advertisement)
5. This year, 1883, is the One Hundredth Anniversary of the organization of the old diocese of Maryland.... 1883
6. [UNK] issued from the supt. office of the Balt. Div. of the Adams Express Co., March 10, 1881
7. Printed Bill, Balt. City Tax Collector, 1880
(further note, removed from MS 1877.2 advertisement, The Balt. Vertical [UNK] Filter, No date)
- Guide to the Samuel Shoemaker papers
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2020-01-01: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.
Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States