Skip to main content

William Carter photograph collection

Identifier: PP 0115


This collection contains photographs of Baltimore scenes: buildings, construction of the city, night and winter scenes, parks, railroads, and festivals. Also included are group and individual portraits.


  • 1900-1917


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

William M. Carter (1880-circa 1917) was most likely the son of Hiram and Mary Carter. Hiram Carter was a Baltimore Commission Merchant, his firm Carter and Company located at 10 East Camden Street. From 1889, the family lived at 718 North Fulton Avenue, and William M. first appeared in the Baltimore City Directory at that address in 1897, listed as a student. In 1898, William was listed as a clerk, perhaps in his father’s business, and his profession alternated between clerk and bookkeeper until 1915. Between 1911 and 1915, William M. Carter lived in Waverly at 628 Fairoak Avenue (now 31st Street); in 1916, he became a salesman and moved to 511 Franklin Terrace (now 41st Street). William is said to have died in the flu epidemic of 1916-1917.


2.0 Linear Feet (2 flat boxes)

Language of Materials



The photographs are organized by subject, and arranged in folders according to PP catalog numbers.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Mint Museum of History (Charlotte, N.C.), 1984.

Scope and Contents

The collection, housed in two boxes, consists of two photograph albums containing roughly 162 and 444 gelatin silver photoprints, respectively, and just over 500 loose photographs. The photographs in the albums and about 460 of the loose photographs are thought to have been made by William M. Carter circa 1900-1917, primarily of Baltimore scenes: buildings (houses, stores, churches, schools, and other public buildings), construction and destruction in the city, bridges, night and winter scenes, landscapes and seascapes, animals, parks (Druid Hill, Patterson, River View, and others), railroads, festivals and sporting events. There are also many unidentified portraits of groups and individuals, including children. Another set of ca. 50 photoprints (gelatin silver, tintype, and albumen prints including cabinet cards and cartes de visite) are studio portraits of unidentified men, women and children.

Very few of the photographs are captioned or dated.

Guide to the William Carter photograph collection
Under Revision
Katherine Cowan
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Revision Statements

  • 2020-01-30: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States