United States Naval Academy photograph collection
This collection consists of photographs of the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, including the yard, entrance gate, midshipmen, Episcopal Chapel, campus facilities and living quarters, circa 1892.
- Johnston, Frances Benjamin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
he United States Naval Academy, known originally as the Naval School, was established in 1845 by Secretary of the Navy, the Honorable George Bancroft in Annapolis, Maryland at the site of Fort Severn, chosen for its location close to the national government. During the Civil War, the Naval Academy was removed to Newport, Rhode Island, returning to Annapolis in 1865. After the Spanish-American War in 1898, with the United States new status as world naval power, the academys location was reconsidered in Congress, with the possibility of moving it further north. Instead, the facility in Annapolis was expanded, initiating a period in which the number of graduates grew from 41 in 1895 to nearly 200 per year by the time of World War I.
The Naval Academy campus is known as "The Yard". At the end of the 19th century, the main entrance was on Maryland Avenue, north of the State House, with additional gates on Governor and King George Streets. The Hall of Seamanship was the first building erected for the academy in 1846-1847, originally housing the dining hall and kitchen, athenaeum and library. The original Fort Severn structure became a gymnasium in the late 1860s. The dormitories in Stribling Row, also known as Midshipmen "Old Quarters", housed the Midshipman Lieutenant-Commander and the Second Class until 1900, and Spanish prisoners were held there in 1898.
Landmarks on campus include the Tripoli Monument honoring six naval officers killed in the Harbor of Tripoli off the African coast in 1804. Orginally placed in the Washington Navy Yard, and vandalized by British troops during their 1814 occupation, it was relocated to the United States Capitol in 1831, and later brought to the Naval Academy. Another is the statue known popularly as "Tecumseh" which actually depicts Tamanend, a Delaware chief. This was the wooden figurehead from the U.S.S. Delaware, brought to the Academy after the ship was scuttled. As the statue weathered, the wood was replaced with with bronze, and the original figurehead moved into the field house. Still a landmark on the campus, the figure has traditionally been deluged with pennies and left-handed salutes as midshipmen traverse the Yard to exams and football events.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 full Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog numbers.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of one box with eight folders containing 24 albumen photoprints, recorded as being made in 1892 by Frances Benjamin Johnston. All images depict the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. Included are images of the Yard and entrance gate, midshipmen aboard practice ships and in dress parade, the Episcopal Chapel, various campus facilities including living quarters, and landmarks such as the Tripoli Monument.
- Guide to the United States Naval Academy photograph collection
- Under Revision
- Katherine Cowan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 02-05-2020: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.