College Club, Inc. records supplement
A supplement to the existing College Club Records (MS 2555), this collection includes many of the same types of materials as its predecessor such as correspondence, meeting minutes, annual reports, and membership cards. This organization was founded in 1894 for the purpose of gathering together women with college backgrounds to socialize and exchange ideas.
- College Club of Baltimore (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
The College Club of Baltimore was founded in 1894 (chartered in 1908) for the purpose of gathering together women with college backgrounds to socialize and exchange ideas. Among the original founders and members were: Dr. Lilian Welsh, Dr. Mary Sherwood, Dr. Florence Sabin, Mrs. Fabian Ladd-Franklin, Miss Julia Rogers, and Mrs. A. Morris Carey.
The club was a result of a wider interest in college educated women gathering together to speak out for women's rights. Other organizations with similar purpose were: The Association of Collegiate Alumnae, The International Federation of University Women, and the Southern Association of College Women, which later merged with the Association of Collegiate Alumnae to form the American Association of University Women in 1921.
In addition to cultivating its many cultural interests, the College Club developed into a community action organization involving themselves internationally as well as nationally and locally. In both world wars the club was involved in giving aid to Britain, national defense at home, and, in more recent years, sponsored exchange programs enabling foreign women to study and work in Baltimore. Nationally, the group supported women's suffrage, and sponsored guest speakers and study leaders to educate themselves on national issues from education to legislation.
Locally, the members of this group raised money for undergraduate scholarships to Goucher College and eventually, through the American Association of University Women, helped provide funds for women to do graduate work in a variety of fields, both abroad and at home. Further, they provided clothing and funds to local charitable organizations. Depending upon the current interest of the membership, the College Club has had a more or less constant history of service to the community and the nation.
2.5 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of The College Club, Inc. in August 1984, July 1986, and July 1987.
Scope and Contents
A supplement to the existing College Club Records (MS 2555), this collection includes many of the same types of documents as its predecessor. It contains correspondence between the club and various businesses, copies of the club's handbooks and newsletters, and annual reports from the club's several committees. Of special interest are two copies of "Pioneers in Progress." These books give a brief biographical sketch of women in history who have been innovators in their chosen fields. The collection also contains membership cards, which provide an academic as well as a personal history of club members.
- Guide to the College Club, Inc. records supplement
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- 2020-03-17: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Sandra Glascock