Ladies Relief of the Free Summer Excursion Society manuscript collection
This collection contains annual reports for the Free Summer Excursion Society and a minute book for the Ladies Relief.
- 1881 - 1958
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
The Free Summer Excursion Society was founded in Baltimore, Maryland by John T. Ford in 1870. The charitable organization would coordinate trips out of the city for less-privileged residents. Each summer, women and their children were selected to participate in day trips to the countryside surrounding the city. The group focused on providing these excursions to families with sickly children would benefit from the fresh air. The Ladies Relief would walk the city’s neighborhoods giving out tickets to needy families.
In the early years of the group, the participants were taken to Hall’s Springs, located off of Harford Road. The Society would provide transportation, food, and a day of fun and relaxation. Richard D. Fisher leased a portion of his property on Bear Creek to the Society in 1880 for a penny a year. The area became known as “Chesterwood.” The F. C. Latrobe, a municipally owned steamboat, was rented by the Society to take the groups to the resort. The excursions ended when the F. C. Latrobe was taken out of commission. The organization could not afford to rent the replacement boat, and excursions to “Chesterwood” ended in 1959.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Rhoda M. Dorsey, August 5, 2014.
Scope and Contents
The collection contains annual reports for the Free Summer Excursion Society and a minute book for the Ladies Relief. The minute book includes accounts of meetings held by the Ladies Relief of the Society. Clippings about the Society are also pasted onto the last few pages of the minute book. A newspaper article from Leslie’s Weekly on August 5, 1905 reports on the Society’s mission.
- Guide to the Ladies Relief of the Free Summer Excursion Society manuscript collection
- Under Revision
- Lara Westwood
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2020-04-08: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.