Skip to main content

G. Krug and Son Business Records

Identifier: MS 1756


This collection contains the records of G. Krug and Son Ironworks of Baltimore


  • 1841 - 1963


Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

Gustav A. Krug, German immigrant, 1830-1908; began business with Andrew Merker (fl. 1840s) in 1848; retired in 1898.

Theodore F. Krug, 1853-1938; began with firm in 1868, retired in 1923.

Gustav F. Krug, 1874-1940; began with firm in 1891, retired in 1938.

Theodore A. Krug, 1887-; began with firm in 1907, retired in 1962.

Theodore F. Krug, 1926-; began with firm in 1948.

Andrew Merker was born Feb. 10, 1804 in Alsace and died May 25, 1876 in Baltimore. He is listed in the records of the Old Otterbein Church (Maryland Historical Society MS. 1771) circa 1840. In 1841 he was licensed to preach by the Pennsylvania Conference of the United Brethren Church, but he was not ordained until 1848. In 1846 he and Rev. Peter Bitzel served a mission appointment in Baltimore; it seems they did not succeed. Though ordained, he did not become a full-time pastor but remained somewhat of a local preacher. He may, however, have had ideas of full-time pastoral work since he hired Gustav Krug in 1848. At any rate, it would appear that Merker abandoned his iron trade in favor of the ministry. Merker is also found as Marker and Macher.


TBD Linear Feet (8 boxes; 80 volumes)

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Theodore F. Krug, July 1969.

Scope and Contents

The records trace the business from 1841 to 1963, from the time it was known as a shop belonging to Andrew Merker, blacksmith, to the present ownership of Theodore F. Krug. The firm is currently in business, operating in the same building on Saratoga Street as Merker did.

The earliest records are in German, becoming a mixture of German and English, becoming completely English by the 1850's. Records-keeping, as business increases, becomes more sophisticated and complete. All phases of incoming and outgoing materials and products are noted in quantities, sizes, prices, and uses. Accounts are listed for business and private individuals, mostly in Baltimore city, but can also be found for other states.

Drawings of work to be done and/or done accompany the ledgers, day-books, and journals of the period 1885-1927; these drawings, usually with accompanying measurements, are in ink and on tissue. Other record books contain rough drawings, usually in pencil.


Guide to the G. Krug and Son Business Records
Ellen Lee Barker
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Revision Statements

  • 2020-08-27: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States